Tuesday, May 31, 2011

spring garden





excited about my garden this year - seems to be so much more organized - probably because of my garden journal - it has been really helpful for planning. I put movable rabbit fences up and finally have pea sprouts, and fava and green bean sprouts! Ive never been able to grow those because of the stinking rabbits - so excited for that. Sadly, my tomatoes (that I grew from seed) are not looking that great - its been so cold here that I wasn't able to get them in the ground when I was thinking I would. Next year maybe I will build a true cold frame....or maybe not since really I can find any heirloom variety at the mill city market so I'm not sure its worth - we'll see what I think next winter when I am needing a little glimpse of spring and dirt...

We've been baking lots of rhubarb -
made these rhubarb streusel muffins (from smitten kitchen) that were really great
and this strawberry rhubarb crisp from honest fare - a new to me great food blog

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how is everything looking so good already?! ours looks pathetic in comparison, but we had snow on the ground two weeks ago... in AZ!!
gretchen

Ape said...

your garden looks awesome!! i'm jealous of all that space you have to work with.

Hi.d said...

well we didnt have snow but the side effects of a tornado storm nearby flooded most of my tomatos....but I am happy with my spring garden - just have to suck it up and go buy some more tomato plants this weekend.

and yes lucky with the sunny space! half our neghbors tree fell this winter ... sad but so much more sun for the garden!